If the power goes out in your home, there are several steps you can take to stay safe and comfortable until the power is restored:
• Stay calm and be prepared: Having an emergency kit on hand can help you to cope with a power outage. The kit should include flashlights, extra batteries, a first aid kit, a portable radio, and any other essential items you may need.
• Keep your refrigerator and freezer closed: To help preserve food, keep the doors of your refrigerator and freezer closed as much as possible. A full freezer will stay cold for about two days, while a half-full freezer will stay cold for about one day.
• Use caution with alternative heat sources: If you need to use an alternative heat source, such as a fireplace or wood stove, be sure to follow all safety guidelines and use caution to prevent fires.
• Stay warm: Wear layers of clothing to help insulate your body and stay warm. Drink warm beverages and eat warm foods to help raise your body temperature.
• Stay informed: Listen to the radio or check online for updates on the power outage and when power is expected to be restored.
By following these steps, you can stay safe and comfortable during a power outage.